The benefits of the Jasper SIM versus the standard 3G SIM
The Telstra Control Centre (Jasper) allows you to take control of your fleet by providing you with connection diagnostics, real time usage and status reports, notifications and alerts for your device.
Features include, but are not limited to:
- Set up alerts to keep you up to date on your usage for the month
- Monitor SIM usage and adjust data plans at any time if needed
- Diagnostic tools will tell you exactly where a SIM is failing
- Historical session information lets you pinpoint issues
- Store additional device information using custom fields
- View Information like data plan & configuration details
- Monitor aggressive SIM behaviour like multiple session attempts to assist with fault diagnosis
- Send an SMS directly to your device from the control centre
- Utilise M2M Connectivity CSD/IP emulation application
What are the key considerations and impacts of migration from CSD to IP?
1. 2G Network closure date of 1st December 2016 does not allow sufficient time to rollout a fully commissioned IP Network on 3G to replace the current 2G CSD solution.
2. If you do not change out 2G modems to 3G modems, then devices will have “No Service” when the 2G network is shutdown on 1st December 2016.
Modem options and compatibility
M2M Connectivity has developed a turnkey solution to emulate CSD over IP for the many legacy 2G M2M devices currently using CSD. The M2M Connectivity solution can set up an IP session on the 3G network that emulates the current 2G CSD call without requiring changes to back-end systems. The CSD/IP emulation solution incorporates the Netcomm NTC 3000 3G Modem providing a degree of future-proofing, by ensuring the CSD emulation is provided over the 3G network with longer life.
Current known scope for replacement – Which services will be migrated and when?
The CSD/IP emulation solution provides a two-staged approach to migrate up to a full 3G IP network into the near future.
Stage 1: Changeover all 2G modems to the NTC3000 3G Modems running the CSD emulation application. This first stage provides a 3G solution, without needing to update the customers own back-end system that is currently supporting CSD to collect the data. The 2G modems MUST be swapped out before the 2G Network closure on 1st December 2016.
Stage 2: Rollout a full 3G IP Network in a suitable timeframe post-the 2G Network Closure.
Once the IP Network has been commissioned then the NTC3000 3G modems can be reconfigured OTA to support an IP connection without the CSD emulation application.
The CSD/IP emulation rollout is subject to:
- Detailed Assessment of current architecture to determine the suitability of the solution
- 3G Network coverage, site and network audit
- Confirm the NTC3000 3G modem is compatible to integrate into the Network
Successful completion of a trial with the NTC3000 NTC modems connected to your devices and connecting back into your CSD backend via Telstra 3G Network.
Testing and support arrangements
M2M Connectivity will provide support during business hours for the duration of the trial and post-cutover should there be any issues.
If fully-managed service is requested by the customer then we can quote this subject to further information.
What are the costs associated with this migration?
Contact M2M Connectivity to discuss.
Jasper SIMs can be provided by M2M One, Telstra or Optus.