Watch! Webinar – Replay | The key considerations for upgrading your operations to LTE.
What types of IoT applications are at risk?
There are many types of IoT applications impacted with 1000’s of customers affected – and more than 100,000 devices/unit nationally. These include:
One key consideration is that many of these solutions/applications built in the ‘3G era’ use Circuit Switch Data (CSD) to transfer Data. 3G operates different to 4G – CSD applications will not work on 4G or 5G.
3G SHUTDOWN | 3 MINUTE VIDEO
What you need to consider
Anthony Petts, M2M Business Development Manager talks the key considerations for businesses to effectively plan for the 3G Shutdown.
- To avoid costly downtime
- To mitigate negative customer and employer experience
- To harness the possibilities of next-gen networking
When evaluating your current solution and architecture, you must consider:
Does your backend need development to work over 4G (eg Circuit Switch Data calls not supported on 4G)?
What hardware/modems are you going to choose, ports, speed, functionality?
Most antennas purchased for 3G will not be compatible for 4G.
3G and 4G coverage are different – will you applications be covered?
The power and connector requirements may be different – How many devices are impacted?
It is likely a new SIM plan will be required for your devices. What is the best new plans for your environment?
"The simple message here is if you have 3G devices out there, start your planning now to upgrade”
Business Development at M2M Connectivity
Telstra have announced the progressive shutdown of 3G – Starting soon with full shut down June 2024
There are 1000’s of customers effected and more than 1,000,000 devices/units effected nationally
• Any customer using a 3G modem will need to upgrade their modem/communication medium by 2024
• This may mean changes to backend systems, New Modems, Sims and Plans, Antennas, power supplies.
Start planning now – it could take up to 4 years to complete a rollout (Budget,Design, Test, Rollout)
• Budget – Secure budget to fund the upgrade
• Testing – Test and validate solutions
• Development – Backend software may require development
• Tenders – Run and Award tender process for supply
• Physically the time taken to upgrade the units
• Backend: Does your backend need development to work over 4G (egCircuit Switch Data calls not supported on 4G)
• Modems: What hardware/modems are you going to choose, ports, speed, functionality
• Antennas: Most Antennas purchased for 3G will not be compatible for 4G.
• Coverage: 3G and 4G coverage are different
• Power Supplies: The power and connector requirements may be different
• Data Plans: Its likely a new SIM plan will be required
• Many solutions/applications built in the 3G era use Circuit Switch Data (CSD) to transfer Data
• 3G operates different to 4G eg CSD does not work on 4G or 5G
• If your solution uses CSD and you want to avoid costly and time to redevelop your backend, M2M has developed a CSD to IP solution
• Get in touch – Start the conversation now with one of our #IoTexperts